Since we picked up some bundles of dried ramen, we’ve been on a quest to use them in interesting recipes. This is a relatively healthy soup that packs so much depth of flavor! The recipe could easily be adapted to include ingredients you have on hand.
Ingredients for the meatballs and noodles:
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced into 1/4″-thick strips
- 4 ounces dried ramen
- 2 teaspoons virgin coconut or neutral vegetable oil
Ingredients for the broth:
- 1 T virgin coconut or neutral vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated peeled ginger
- 1 1/2 C canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 C chicken broth
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste or to taste
- Lime wedges, basil leaves, sliced scallion, sliced red chiles, chopped peanuts (for serving; optional)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment.
Beat egg in a large bowl with a fork. Add turkey, panko, scallion, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, and 1/2 tsp. salt and stir well to combine. Using your hands, roll mixture into 1″ balls, packing firmly (you should have about 30). Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
Roast meatballs, turning once halfway through, until firm and cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meatball registers 165°F, 15–20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook snap peas and bell pepper in a medium pot of boiling well-salted water 2 minutes. Transfer to a colander with a spider, slotted spoon, or tongs, reserving water in pot. Transfer to a medium bowl. Return water to a boil and cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles, then transfer to a large bowl and toss with oil.
Cook curry if needed (ours needed it.) Whisk curry paste into coconut broth mixture.
Divide noodles among bowls. Ladle broth over and top with meatballs, snap peas, and bell peppers. Garnish with lime wedges, basil, scallions, chiles, peanuts, if using. Squeal with delight.
We served this with fresh made naan bread … it was delicious!!